Sphagnum moss is a tiny, star-shaped plant that grows on the surface of the soil in bogs and swamps. It is found in New Zealand, Chile, Greenland, Canada and other regions and is carefully and sustainably harvested to ensure regeneration, a cycle that typically takes 5-6 years. It is also known as peat moss, although this term can also refer to a different product. Our moss is a high quality, lightweight, naturally sterile sphagnum moss from Chile.
This type of moss is great for various orchids, including Phalaenopsis, Dendrobiums, and Oncidiums. It's used to help these plants grow faster and reduce the shock when they're repotted. The moss can hold a lot of water – up to 20 times its weight – which makes it useful for improving soil quality.
Before using the moss, you need to soak it in water to rehydrate it fully. Then, when you're potting plants, make sure not to pack the moss too tightly into the pot, as that reduces its water-holding capacity. Keeping the moss from drying out completely is important.
POTTING INSTRUCTIONS FOR ORCHIDS IN SPHAGNUM MOSS AND CLEAR POTS
- Clear pots
- GrowPharm Chilean Sphagnum Moss
- Orchid plant
- Hydroton (expanded clay aggregate) (optional)
- Mega Mass - Orchid Master fertilizer or any other orchid-specific fertilizer.
- Watering can or spray bottle
Step 1: Preparing the Clear Pot
- Choose a clear pot that's only one size up from the previous one. Orchids prefer snug spaces, akin to their natural habitats. Clear pots offer insight into root health and moisture levels and allow the roots to perform photosynthesis.
- Optionally, introduce a layer of hydroton at the pot's base to enhance drainage.
Step 2: Preparing the Sphagnum Moss
- Thoroughly hydrate the GrowPharm Chilean Sphagnum Moss by soaking it. Gently squeeze out excess water, leaving it damp but not dripping.
Step 4: Watering and Fertilizing
- Water the orchid by gently saturating the moss until it's uniformly moist.
- Allow excess water to drain, using the clear pot to monitor drainage.
- Apply Mega Mass - Orchid Master fertilizer as directed, offering essential nutrients.
Step 5: Placement and Care
- Position the potted orchid in a location that matches its light and temperature preferences.
- Regularly check the moss's moisture, watering when the top layer feels dry to the touch.
- Leverage the clear pot to observe root health and overall plant condition.
- Article numberorc192-500g
Write a review about "Growpharm Sphagnum Moss 500G"
We want to know your opinion! Write a review about the product “Growpharm Sphagnum Moss 500G”!
Do you want to visit us?
6510 1a StreetSW
Calgary, AB T2H 0G6
T. +1 403-255-7097